Running on OS X?

Annapie
I can't get Towns to run on OS X, and I'm not sure how to rectify it...

Re: Running on OS X?

supermalparit
Administrator
Hi Annapie.

Sorry about the Mac related problems, we don't have one to test it.

Anyway, great news, you can play Towns following the next steps:

1) Install Java (you can download it from our download page)
2) Open a terminal window and move to the game folder
3) Type the next command:
java -cp .:./lib/lwjgl.jar:./lib/lwjgl_util.jar:./lib/slick-util.jar:./xaos.jar -Djava.library.path=./lib/native/ -Dsun.java2d.opengl=false xaos.Towns

Hope this works for you!

Regards

Re: Running on OS X?

edbrannin
I think there are two problems here.

1. There is definitely a newline issue in the towns*.command files.  (I think they're using CR when it should be LF.)  To fix this, go to them in a command window, cd to the Towns folder, and run:

vim towns*.command

Then use these commands (type them exactly, and hit enter at the end of each line):

:%s/\r/\r/g
:w
:bd

Repeat the above 3 commands until you've fixed and closed all 3 files.  Then type ZZ (both capital) to quit.

2. I didn't double-check, but there may be a permissions issue too.  To fix that, run this at the same command prompt:

chmod +x towns*.command

Then you should be able to run them by double-clicking on the command files, or running "./towns.command" (or towns{EN,ES}.command if you want to force English or Spanish.)

Enjoy!

Re: Running on OS X?

supermalparit
Administrator
Oh my god! Nice explanation.

I readed that Linux files uses the LF byte and Mac files the CR.

You're saying that both Linux and Mac uses the same byte!
Can you confirm us that? If that's true I will re-upload the Mac version of Towns with the correct EOL byte.

Anyway, I will google it again.

Thanks a lot!

Xavi Canal

Re: Running on OS X?

edbrannin
Yes, OS X and Linux use the same EOL character. Macs used CR prior to OS X, per Wikipedia:
CR
Commodore 8-bit machines, Acorn BBC, TRS-80, Apple II family, Mac OS up to version 9 and OS-9
LF
Multics, Unix and Unix-like systems (GNU/Linux, AIX, Xenix, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, etc.), BeOS, Amiga, RISC OS, and others.

Also, a minor English correction: the past tense of "to read" (sounds like "reed", the plant) is "read" (sounds like "red", the color). It's quite strange.

Thanks for the interesting game! I played the first 2 tutorials last night, then couldn't figure out how to build walls in the 3rd tutorial mission. I think the gameplay videos had a stone-working building, but the only one I could build in that mission was the wood shop.

Re: Running on OS X?

supermalparit
Administrator
Thanks again, this night I will upload the fixed Mac OS X version.

Thanks, also, for the english correction.

About the campaigns, they are in test mode. In the 3rd mission of tutorial you have to build rooms underground :P (and remember, a room needs a "wall" in the 4 sides and no holes in the roof).

Regards!

Re: Running on OS X?

supermalparit
Administrator
Fixed Mac OS X version of Towns has been uploaded!

Can you, guys, try it?

Thanks

Re: Running on OS X?

edbrannin