Final scope for the game

pakoito
Hi Xavi!

I wanted to ask you about the final scope for the game, to what length do you plan to go. Is it supposed to be a full simulationist sandbox game as Dwarf Fortress, or just a slice of it with other gameplay guidelines such as clearing the dungeon? What are your plans on the simulation, to which depth point?

Cheers :)

//

Lo mismo en castellano: ¿qué planes tienes para el juego, si hacer el simulador sandbox super-complejo que es Dwarf Fortress, que es una puta obra titánica del tronao de Toady, o algo más jugable con unos objetivos finales fijos y unas fases de supervivencia como Heaven and Hearth? Y si te metes en simulaciones, ¿hasta que punto piensas llegar en IA para los personajes (esos "moods" complejos de los dwarves), simulación completa de cultivos, agua, daño localizado en partes del cuerpo, etc?

Un saludo y suerte :)

Re: Final scope for the game

alexpoysky
Hey man, Alex Poysky here. Xavi isn't around at the moment so please let me answer the questions for him!

With regards to the scope of the game : The length will be long, I mean it. We are going for a game that can't be "finished" in a traditional sense, but more of a long term town simulation with many rpg factors added into the mix. If you've been playing 0.30, you can see crafteable armor sets made from different materials, as well as many new additions to the dungeons. Rest assured, it will only get better from here on in, as we add a working hero engine, a quest engine (where YOU give quests to possible heroes), and a few other goodies that will help it stand apart.

We are going to try and see how to implement a sort of New game + in the future, but for the time being we're keeping it under wraps. With regards to depth, we are going to go heavy on the city building sim scope, and medium on the hero/rpg mechanics, providing a unique blend that doesn't try to overshoot by sprinkling obscure mechanics that don't actually add to the game. Anything added is going to add to the entire game without detracting other points.

Keep the questions coming man, we love them, and we hope this forum fills up soon!

-Alexander Poysky
(Towns Team)

Re: Final scope for the game

pakoito
I think you didn't get the question right, or I worded it incorrectly. I don't mean the endgame or the focus of the game, I mean if the programming is going to get into super-detailed stuff DF did like simulating plant life, rock strats distribution, weather, wild life, "psiche" for each NPC* and tens of thousands of calculation of numbers and statistic distributions and more that DF does with each tick**

Anyway, talking to Alex in the comment for the 0.3 Let's Play he answered that question saying that he was using Java because he wasn't hoping to scalate the simulation to that point, which is pretty ok because a game is a game, and this looks like a fun one. Yes, towns can have all those elements DF has, but just with a more game-y and less simulationist approach :D

* The funny stories in DF come from Dwarves going nuts because they were unhappy and went to open water valves or started digging randomly. That's some complex math going on there.

** That's the reason why the ugliest game ever has such high specs, the depth of the calculations is beyond my imagination...yet it works!. Stone Soup is an ASCII game too with the same not-as-titanic scope as Towns, and I'm running it in a Pentium 3.

Re: Final scope for the game

alexpoysky
Well, keep in mind that df has a HUGE head start for one thing, second, we aren't and are never going to be dwarf fortress. It is a whole different game, and while we DO draw inspiration, we will go in a whole new direction with the rpg aspects coming up in newer patches. Heroes, dungeon runs, bosses, and quests are all features planned in the near future.

-Alex

Re: Final scope for the game

pakoito
Be sure I'll come back when thats ready ;)

I think I'm the only one that still keeps an eye on http://www.goblincamp.com/ too, LOL

Re: Final scope for the game

Alex
Burningpet was one of the guys making graphics for goblin camp!

Oh and thanks so much for the punta de lanza post! Those kinds of things mean so much to us. It always makes our day when we find more information posted on websites about us!!

Thanks!

-Alex and the Towns team (sounds like a bad boy band name)

Re: Final scope for the game

pakoito
It wasn't me on PDL, I did gp32spain which was not as successful.

Re: Final scope for the game

Alex
Sorry my mistake! Thank you very much all the same!!!